Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Young Love

It seems that both of my daughters have a Valentine this year, but mommy does not. As pathetic as this is, it is really cute (as  long as it doesn't repeat itself next year).

Sissy (age 7) is very tight mouthed about hers. She has always been like that. Luckily for me her best friend tells all to her mother, who tells me. So I can at least hear 3rd hand (or is it 4th) about her romantic escapades. Seems that a little boy who was her boyfriend earlier in the year is now back on the scene and they were seen kissing (I certainly hope on the cheek) on the playground. This is all I know. I try my best to finagle information from her, but she is sly. But it's not new. She had a year long boyfriend in both kindergarten and first grade. I imagine that the boy from last year would still be in the picture if they had not been put in separate classes this year. And who can blame the boys? This is a beautiful big eyed girl who also LOVES superheroes, Star Wars and Pokemon. How could they resist that?

Diva (age 5) is a different story. She has be talking about Jake S. for some time. (There is apparently a Jacob in her class as well so his name is never uttered without the accompanying last initial. And when asked what his last name is, the answer, which is given with an expression of exasperation, is 'S.')

The story of their romance goes like this. Jake S. had 'falleded' in love with Riley, but she went to another class so he 'falleded' in love with Alyssa. There seems to be a little back and forth about this, but at the moment he is Diva's. According to Sissy, Diva has been in love with Jake S. this whole time. Now that they are back on I am hearing a lot about this Jake S. character. When we were writing out Valentines for the class she dreamily told me that she was saving his for last. The the other day we were all in the car, that is the girls and I, and Lily told me that she overheard a bit of a romantic interlude in the school hallways. Jake S. requested the honor of holding Diva's hand. She, knowing that guys love it when a girl plays hard to get, flatly refused him. Actually she said her hands were cold and up in the sleeves of her coat so she couldn't. I told Diva that I bet Jake S. thinks she is cute. She denied this. Sissy seconded my opinion. Diva calmly expressed that no, "He thinks I'm beautiful." Well, well, she has no shortage in self esteem. She then told he that Jake S. likes her hair in a 'little pony tail.' In Diva speak this means half of her hair pulled up while the rest is left down. She then asked if she could please wear her hair like that the next day. Smart kid. Find out what my man likes and impress him with it. Boys look out, this girl has game. (Maybe I need lessons.)

So there you have it. My life stretches out before me and I see weekend upon weekend home alone while my two beautiful girls have date after date. Mom will be enrolling them in self defense classes and arming them with mase soon. If they are anything like me, though, they will not use it. I have to go now, I think that last though gave me a stroke.

No comments: