Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Rant

When we were kids did they make toys impossible to get out of the box? I just don't think so. I recall getting most toys out of the box myself. Yes, many needed assembly, but I could at least get Barbie out of the box relatively easily. No more are the days of toy ease, however.

It is the thing I hate most about birthdays and Christmas, all of those dadgummed twist ties!!! There sit now, after a full day, about 4 boxes that I have not even attempted yet. Both girls got dolls, a Liv doll and Barbie baby doctor for Diva, 2 Moxie girls and a set of Miley and Lilly for Sissy. That is 4 boxes and 6 dolls with their 5,211 included accessories. My fingers feel sore after those. And of course to go along with the 562 twist ties they now have added about 798 clear plastic bands, and 43 pieces of thread in the dolls' hair. I mean, really, do we have to have the hair styled so perfectly in the box?

Then, just as I thought I was done for the night, having promised tomorrow to open the last 4, much larger and more technologically complicated gifts, I agreed to open two board games and play a game with each child. Sissy's of course requires 4 players so that was out. Not sure how we are ever going to accomplish that one. Diva's a game I thought would be nice and easy, ended up being the largest project of the day. Guess Who? (that's the name of the game) had 48 plastic frames that needed popped out of their plastic skeletons and then 48 cards, perforated and requiring me to detach each one,  inserted before then popping them into each base. Then another 24 larger cards to remove. Wow. Of course while I am doing all of this I am being bombarded with questions from both kids as to how to play the (expletive omitted for the sake of the holiday) game! After playing 4 rounds and winning 3, despite trying my best not to, I decided to feed them ice cream.

Now we sit, watching a classic Disney Christmas movie medley. They are in their new pjs from Santa. And I am staring at the mess in dismay and fascination. I wonder, since Santa is done with all the hard stuff, can he come help clean/open the remaining boxes tomorrow? Please, Santa Baby?

THE MORNING'S AFTERMATH:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! We're reading each other at the same time. :) I actually pulled out wire cutters to have handy before the kids started opening gifts just to save myself wanting to rip my hair out over those stupid twist ties! Ahh!! And the sewn in Barbie hair has to be the worst! Whoever thought of that should be taken out behind the barn! Glad you had a fun morning. :)

Lauri said...

I had the kitchen shears which cute pretty well. The threads though, ugh, Barbie always loses some hair and I am always afraid I will cut their clothes.

Sara said...

All I can say is - YEAH...I'm the kind of person that tries to pull the *** thing out after each tie comes off in hopes that maybe the others are loose enough to just yank it from the box, and this, of course, never works. I have luckily not graduated to dolls with weird strings in their hair, not something I'm looking forward to, thanks!!! Glad the you & the girls had a great time! ;)

Lauri said...

Sara, I do the same thing. And just wait. Plus there are the extra shoes, a compact, a cell phone, purse, and even pda (yeah, so not even kidding) that are banded in. Grrrr.

Brian said...

Okay first of all - Barbie with a PDA, that's cool! Now if only they could have Marching Band Barbie :)

Don't get me started, that mermaid Barbie looked so innocent on that store shelf only to open it up and reveal the massive web of wires, and tape, and string, and boxes, and plastic... I swear I remember when the Barbies just sort of rattled around in the box. There's a tool out there that is designed to help with things like those plastic clamshell packaging, battery compartments, twist ties and all that but I'm torn. On the one hand there was obviously a niche in the market that somebody was smart enough to capitalize on. On the OTHER hand there's a friggin niche in the market in the first place!

Loved the rant! Now breathe... Breathe...

And Santa you provided the mess, you better come help clean it up, fat man!